Saturday 7 January 2012

I Went to Venice!!!

My Birthday present this year from The Boy was a trip to Venice.  I know my birthday was aaages ago but we decided to go over New Year.

I've always wanted to go to Venice so I couldn't believe I was actually there at first.

Venice is so beautiful!!!

We did so much walking and sight-seeing in the 7 days we were there and managed to fit in a gondola ride which, although overpriced, is just something you have to do in Venice!

The B&B (B&B San Marco) was on the third floor of a building and the family who ran it were so friendly and we often all sat around to breakfast together with the other guests.  This was the view from our balcony:


There was a little pizza restaurant nearby which did amazing pizzas at great prices - we had a pizza each and drinks for around 20. When we got back we both agreed that we won't be eating pizza for a while - at first you love how fresh and tasty they are but after 4 or 5 days you are like "I NEED BACON!!!"

I was glad that everyone in the restaurants and shops spoke English - I know it sounds arrogant but I didn't know any Italian (also they all seem to speak at least 4 languages).  On my first attempt to speak Italian to a local it was a ticket inspector on the waterbus and he said 'buongiorno' so I replied the same and he says "so are you going to the airport?"  I was gutted that I was called out as being English so easily!

It was an amazing holiday and great to be able to see the place I have spent years fantasising about visiting.

Here is an assortment of pictures from our holiday:

Me by the Ponte di Rialto
The Bridge of Sighs
A close-up of the Bridge of Sighs
The Boy by a canal
View of the Grand Canal from the Accademia Bridge
The Boy with St Mark's square in the background
One of the lions of St Mark on the Doge's Palace
St Mark's Bell Tower
St Mark's Basilica (left) and the Doge's Palace (right)
Me with a view across the Grand Canal
Taking the gondola under the Rialto Bridge (supposed to be lucky)
Gondolas only sign by side of canal
Our Gondola (the red one in the middle)
Me and The  Boy

2 comments:

  1. These photos are so beautiful- I have Venice envy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that for years so I was so happy that I finally got to go there! :D x

    ReplyDelete